Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dying 101

Saturday I broke out the Rit and dyed the market bags I've knitted and crocheted over the last few weeks. Here's how it went down.

First I soaked the bags. Here they are all wet for color reference although the pic is a bit yellow. A nice cream, recycled 100% cotton which should dye very well. The dry starting weight was about 10-11 ounces.

DSCN6309

I put a bin in the slop sink and filled it with really hot water adding about 3/4 a cup of salt while it was filling.

DSCN6311

Stirred in about 3/4 of the bottle of dye.

DSCN6319

After submerging my bags I set a timer for 20 minutes and stood over them stirring them fairly regularly.

DSCN6324

Then I set the timer for 20 minutes again. The bottle says 30 minutes or longer for more saturated color. I though I might take some out at 20 so that they would be paler, but decided to make them all the same and go for 40 minutes total.

Then I took out the first bag and started rinsing out the dye in hot water until the water was pretty much clear.

DSCN6342

Then I tossed them in the wash with a bit of soap and 1/2 cup of white vinegar.

DSCN6345

Here they are dried and ready for straps to be sewn on. More on that later. I think the picture is a little bit washed out, but it's pretty close. Not quite as bright as I was hoping for, but definitely within the range of "if it turns out this shade I will be happy" not "if it's too light I will hate it forever."

DSCN6378DSCN6380

0 comments: