Monday, May 16, 2011

B is for Beading

During my senior year of highschool I got into making jewelry. My aunt has a pretty decent beading stash and had all the tools I needed to get started. I would go over to her house and she'd help me make earrings and a necklace every now and then. Since then I've acquired some beads of my own and from time to time I break them out to make a pair of earrings to match a certain dress or more recently to make stitch markers, like these and these for the swap I just did.

DSCN6672

Last fall I read about an organization called "Ears to You" in the dentist's office. It's a couple of women who collect earrings that are handmade (nickel and lead free only) or newly bought and give them to female cancer patients to brighten their spirits, help them adjust to losing their hair and feel more normal while undergoing chemo treatments.   

I bought some nickel and lead free findings and set out to make a bunch of earrings to send to these ladies. I kept it simple and was inspired by some of the types of earrings I've seen on Etsy lately.

DSCN6651

DSCN6656DSCN6663

DSCN6670
The pictures show one out of each pair. I've been planning to do this for awhile, but I finally made them last week after I had the thought to do beading for B. Yay for motivation!

If you're into making jewelry I encourage you to check out the website for more information about this organization and how you can help.

11 comments:

Charly Harries said... [Reply]

Those earrings are gorgeous. Especially the green one :)

supertinks said... [Reply]

what a great project to work on!

lyndagrace said... [Reply]

What a great cause. Good for you!

Debbie said... [Reply]

Ooh, so pretty!

What a great idea too! I flirted with beading for a while and I'm sure I have all the "doings" in a cupboard somewhere. Would be nice to find a good use for them...

Mrs H Knits said... [Reply]

Like the fact that you used these for stitch markers - neat idea. Good project to work on too.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said... [Reply]

I think that's such a great thing to do! And what pretty things to get!

Julie said... [Reply]

Those are so lovely and what a worthwhile project. Great photos as well.

Anonymous said... [Reply]

they are very sweet and i am sure they will make some very special lady a little happier and a little brighter!

The Knitting Way said... [Reply]

Gorgeous beads, gorgeous photography! I love that these beads are going to dangle on the lovely ears of lovely women who just might be questioning their loveliness! My mom is a cancer survivor and my mother-in-law lost her battle to cancer several years ago. Thanks for taking care of our women with cancer, as their needs go beyond physical.

Carolee479 said... [Reply]

@The Knitting Way

Thank you so much! Sorry for your loss. I've lost two grandparents to cancer and several family friends. It's a terrible thing.

Rebecca said... [Reply]

<3 X 10000000
what a wonderful intention and they are so beautiful