Friday, May 20, 2011

FO Friday - Rainbow Fish

This post was written for last Friday, the 13th, but due to blogger's outage it has been saved for this week.

This month I participated in a monthly designer's challenge on Ravelry. The requirements are: an item of baby clothing using the technique of cables with a theme of the ocean. I've got other things I need to work on and it's taking me way too long to get the pattern for last month finished so I wanted to do something small that wouldn't take long. Well, what I've got is certainly small, but it's not as quick as I thought. Cables=time vortex  I can't believe how long it's taking me.

I decided to make a hat and I was thinking of children's books having to do with the ocean and I thought of the book The Rainbow Fish a classic favorite in our house. I have some rainbow colored worsted cotton and cables can look like scales right? So as I was about to fall asleep one night this idea came upon me and I tried to work it out the next day. 

First I swatched my pattern idea to make sure it looked like fish scales. Sortof...

DSCN6409

Then I started with the wrong number of stitches 3 different times and restarted. 

Here's the first one completed:

DSCN6674

And I'm working on a second one from the pattern I've written to make sure it makes sense.

I checked Ravelry's pattern database to make sure I wasn't subconsciously copying anyone else's design and I found this hat. It's similar in idea, but mine has cables on it which is significantly different, and while the idea of the tail is the same, I didn't look at her pattern and copy the tail part or anything, as you can tell by the fact that my tail is no where near as good. I'll probably rework that  before publishing the pattern.  

So there you have it, my second design. Hopefully this pattern will actually get online by the end of the month. 

0 comments: