Monday, May 9, 2011

A is for Argyle

Argyle is a traditional Scottish pattern of overlapping diamonds. Tartan hose were woven to match the tartan plaids worn by each clan. Argyle developed as a more simplified way to imitate the more complicated tartans.

Knitted argyles are done using intarsia and worked flat. To work an argyle pattern in the round there is a technique which involves alternating rows knitted in the round and rows that are turned and purled. A third technique is to knit the diamonds using short rows which is used in Stephanie van der Linden's pattern In the Highlands from the book Around the World in Knitted Socks.

DSCN6464

I'm making a pair of these for my brother. I've had the first sock finished for awhile but I had to use those needles for something else so they've been on hold. There were little holes all along the "seams" and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or that's just how it is. When I was weaving in the ends I tightened the holes up a bit.

DSCN6465

Yarn is Knit Picks Palette in clover and almond, with sweet potato for the stitching.

9 comments:

Charly Harries said... [Reply]

Clever you on thinking of Argyle, I never even thought of that! Those socks are fab, your brother is going to love them :)

Abby said... [Reply]

Lovely socks. Knitting argyle in the round sounds complicated. I commend you for taking on the challenge!

Unknown said... [Reply]

Very beautiful work! Does he know what a lucky guy he is to have you do that for him?!

lyndagrace said... [Reply]

I love these. Great Job!

Carolee479 said... [Reply]

@witchyknits4ewe he definitely does. He requested argyle socks and he's always very appreciative of the things I knit him.

Debbie said... [Reply]

Very stylish socks! Did you strand the colours with floats or use the knit in the round combined with back and fro technique? (Sorry, not very well explained but you know what I mean!).

Carolee479 said... [Reply]

@Debbie, That pattern uses short rows. So it's worked one color at a time. It's hard to describe and I had a difficult time visualizing it until I actually started seeing it happen. Here's my project page on Rav: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SweetPetunia897/in-the-highlands the first picture shows what it looks like in process.

Luckynumbers said... [Reply]

Those are beautiful socks. I love argyle!

Kendall said... [Reply]

These look incredible!! Very nice blog!