Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nooooo! That's impossible!!!!!

So I've been working on this tank for a little over a week. It's in Caron Spa color= Rose Bisque. Worked in the round on a size 5 circular.
DSCN6247
Last weekend I had a marathon of BBC's Little Dorrit mini-series and I got a good chunk of it done. I've worked on it a little here and there through the week and then did a few hours more on Friday. Everything was going great, it fit when I tried it on throughout the process. I tried it on one last time on Saturday morning before finishing the last 4 rows which, by the way, were all worked even, and bound off using a size 7 needle. Couldn't get it on at all, but no big deal. I just undid the BO putting it on the size 7s and BO again using size 8s this time and making it very loose. This time I got it on alright and got it in place only to find out it's too tight!
DSCN6274
Note extreme stretching.

The decreasing rows on the top are very much too tight. There are ladders stretching out in between all the rows for about 2 inches. It's  not uncomfortably tight, but it looks bad. I was so upset in that moment. My first brilliant idea was to drop the decreases and pick them back up with less decreasing. After all there was randomly long bits between the decreases there which had been bothering me the whole time, I could use that up.
DSCN6283
Ladders on sides.

What I failed to think was, there's no way those little ladders will be able to add the 8+ extra stitches which will be gained by the time I reach the top. So I tried and failed and tossed the project into a lump on my floor in disgust.

DSCN6286

I don't plan to let it languish there for long though. I'll finish it up this week hopefully and have an FO to share. Also working on some bags for Mother's Day presents with the recycled cotton I unraveled from a thrift-store sweater. More details on those when I'm dying them next week...

0 comments: