Monday, April 4, 2011

Countdown to VDT Release - 4 days

April 8 = the release of the Chronicles of Narnia Voyage of the Dawn Treader on DVD! I am a huge Narnia fan, however I have yet to see the latest installment. Due to financial and schedule reasons I was unable to see it while it was in theaters. So in honor of it's release this Friday I'm going to post about the previous movies and such this week.

Chronicles of Narnia The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I went to see this is theaters for my 18th birthday. Awesome and fun experience.

Favorite Scene: So hard! When Edmund comes back to Aslan's camp and they all reunite, and then in the battle scene where Peter first sees Aslan alive and they all reunite again on the battle field. Something about those sibling bonding moments just gets me. I like seeing how they grow closer as a family through the movie building up to them ruling together.

Biggest Surprise: Since it followed the book pretty well there were no huge surprises in the plot area. I think the CGI effects were better than I expected though. The animals were pretty realistic, yet looked like they had personalities and emotion when they talked.

Least Favorite Scene: When they fall back into the real world through the wardrobe. I don't dislike it because it was badly done though. The movie is so wonderful and ends with the touching moment with Lucy and Mr. Tumnus and then it's so disappointing to go back to the real world. It's like when you watch the movie you're in Narnia with them and then it reminds you that your real world is waiting for you to come back too. I don't want it to end, and I want to tell them to turn around and stay in Narnia. They don't know what they're doing!

Favorite Character(human): High King Peter, Emperor of the Lone Isles, Lord of Cair Paravel, etc. At the beginning of the movie he's trying to take responsibility and be the man while his father is gone, but he's not succeeding and then by the end he has learned how to lead so that he can take on the responsibility of being the king. Love watching him grow up. He's my favorite character through the books too.

Favorite Character(fictional creature): Mr. and Mrs. Beaver: love their personalities and voicing! And Oreuis the Centaur because he is just awesome.

Costumes: Love the costuming. I love the Penvensie's '40s clothing at the beginning, especially their socks, the skirts, and sweaters. I wish we wore Narnian clothing now. The girls' dresses are lovely and as the books say they wear clothes that look and feel beautiful, so I certainly wouldn't mind dressing like that. Jadis' costumes were pretty intense and I like how they change throughout the movie to show her loss of power.

Scenery/Set: Gorgeous! My favorite sets are in the beaver's house and when Lucy first comes into Narnia by the lampost. They really paid attention to detail in the sets. My favorite scenery is during the battle sequence. It's so beautiful!

Music: The soundtrack is some of my favorite music. I listen to it all the time. My favorite parts are when they come through the wardrobe and when they're showing up at Aslan's camp. Or maybe the whole thing is my favorite!!!

Overall Adaption: This movie follows the book very closely compared to other book adaption out there. The changes are pretty minor so there was nothing to complain about in that area. I tend to like when movies adhere to the books. It really brings the story to life in a great way. The characters, sets and costumes are pretty much the way I imagine them when reading the book or even better. Even though this movie isn't perfectly executed in every aspect (which no movies are) I think it's an excellent portrayal and I really enjoy watching it.


0 comments: