Friday, April 8, 2011

Countdown to VDT Release - 0 days!!!!!

Character Development: The Pevensies 

I'll try to keep this from getting too long. I'm not trying to give an in-depth analysis of the children or anything, just summing up my opinion and highlights of the way the children's characters are developed and portrayed in the books vs. movies.

Peter Pevensie: In the books Peter is my favorite character. He may be unrealistically awesome, but he's the high king of a fantasy world so in my opinion that's perfectly acceptable. I love the portrayal of him in LWW. One of my favorite Peter moments is when he finds out that Aslan is dead and it's up to him to lead the army. That's a pivotal point in him transitioning from "I'm not so sure about this whole saving Narnia thing" to "I'm the High King."


When he comes back in PC one of the things I love the most about his character in the books is the way he and Caspian get along. There is certainly opportunity for contention between them, however he knows who he is and is also respectful of Caspian's role as the king. I was pretty disappointed in the changes that were made to Peter's character in the movie of PC. He doesn't act like the high king of Narnia. The Peter of the books would never act that way towards Caspian, and he wouldn't be so set on doing things his own way. "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough."

While I didn't like the adaption, I can see why they did it. It certainly makes Peter a more believably real character who people can identify with more. It also makes a contrast with his attitude later in the movie which serves to heighten his good decisions then. I love the scene after the warewolf and hag part where he's sitting by the stone table and looking at the relief of Aslan on the wall, realizing that he needs Aslan's help. This shift can be seen by comparing the two battles. In the castle he calls out "For Narnia!" as they charge and during the battle at Aslan's How he calls out "For Aslan!"

Another thing to note about the changes in character are that he appears more as a teenager/young adult in the movie of PC. Although Peter is a teenager still physically, the Narnian air works on them to make them older. He also has all the knowledge and life experience in Narnia of an adult. So even though he's young again, he should act with the maturity he had when he left Narnia. The Peter of the movie does not do this.

That being said, after a while I now enjoy the new Peter as well, just in a different way, and he's not my favorite character in the movie. I will admit that if anyone other than William Mosley was playing Peter I might not like the new Peter quite so much.    

Susan Pevensie: I was never really a huge fan of Susan. Realistically though I'm probably the most like her of any of them. She fits the oldest girl in the family stereotype well which I am as well. She's practical and doesn't want to go out into the unknown adventuresome world, definitely me. I think the reason I find  her slightly boring is because she's like myself. LWW had her spot on I think.

Susan was also changed alot in the PC movie. They did a good job with her practical "We live here, in England" side. Having her fight in the battles is not in keeping with the books, but I don't have a huge problem with it. The thing that gets me is Susan and Caspian. Never would have happened in the books. I guess it makes sense for a movie because the characters are older, and made for a bit older crowd, but still. A few glances here and there? meh. Caspian rescuing Susan? cheese. The kiss? I yelled, "Nooooooooo, don't do it!!!!!!" (I was at home in my living room when I saw it for the first time so I could get away with it) Way to leave a man hanging. "'It never would have worked.' so I'm going to kiss you and then leave you and never see you again for the rest of your life because we live in different worlds" Lame. Being in love with someone who you knew you'd never see again, who lived in a different world would be weird. Especially with the time thing. A couple years later in our world Caspian was an old man. Wouldn't it be strange to think, "Right now, the boy I kissed 4 years ago is dying of old age in another world." Life is just better for both of them if they don't go there.


Edmund Pevensie: Edmund is a great character. He fails big time, repents, is forgiven and then becomes a strong and honorable king. His failures make him more believable and relate-able to real people, but he's still awesome. I love watching his relationship with his siblings, particularly Peter, grow. In the beginning of LWW he says to Peter "You think you're dad but you're not!" Clearly having some problems relating to their father being away and Peter trying to step into the male authority role. When he first gets into Narnia and talks to the White Witch he asks her "Do you mean Peter would be king too?" Not happy with that idea. But at the end he's made king with Peter over him. The line that shows his change of heart is after Aslan dies and he says to Peter "Aslan believed you could [lead the army] and so do I"

Love Edmund in PC. He seems to be the most well grounded out of the four in this movie. In the beginning, "We are kids." He recognizes the realities of living in England without being like Susan and giving up on Narnia completely. Once they're back in Narnia he re-assumes his former role well. He's the only one who believes Lucy saw Aslan, he defers to Peter as king and supports him well. He's totally awesome when he gets the White Witch! Very well done.

I would be nervous if I was casting children for a movie knowing that not only do they need to do well in one movie, but if it goes well they may have to act in two more while they're in their teenage years. What if you pick a kid who gets awkward and can't act by the third movie? As far as I've seen Skandar Kenyes grew into the role well.

Lucy Pevensie: Lucy in both the books and the movies is just such a happy, innocent, cute little girl. Georgie Henley is the cutest little thing in LWW. I love how open and friendly she is with Mr. Tumnus when they meet. I would have been terrified.

Her character is well adapted in both movies. They capture her innocent child nature in the LWW particularly well. There isn't really very much development of her character in PC. She's a bit older and more subdued, but she is still the one who has the strongest faith in Aslan. Her character matures and grows more in the VDT book so hopefully there will be more character development for her there. I've heard that she has some poor scripting in VDT so we'll see.

All in all, I love the Pevensies and I love it when they are in the other books like HHB and LB. I'm about 99% sure that they were real children who got into Narnia and are now living in Aslan's Country. :)   


0 comments: