Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recycled Sweater #1

Sweater number 1 is the blue striped, cotton/acrylic blend from Old Navy, size small.

008

The intention is to make a little bag for my aunt from the yarn.
First I washed the sweater and let it air dry. Then I started pulling out the seams. If you cut the seam and pull it in the right direction then you can just pull the thread and it will come right out in one fell swoop. The neckband was slightly more difficult to get off because it was sewn down in come places.

Then I started at the top of the back piece and began unwinding the yarn. First I wrapped it around my arm going from my elbow around my thumb and back down, but after awhile it was getting so tight it was pulling my thumb off. So when I got to the stripes I started wrapping one color around my desk chair and one around a clipboard. Only later did I realize that the chair back got wider as it went up so I would have to unwind the yarn instead of being able to pull it off. Oops.

For this step the important thing is that you have something stiff but level. If it's a piece of cardboard then it will bend and get smaller as you go. The clipboard worked well, but it was just taking too much time to unravel and wind it and then wind it into a ball later. The first "hank" I took off the clipboard got very tangled when I tried to wind it into a ball.

My 7 yo brother found me ripping this apart and he wanted to help so he ripped while I wrapped it into balls. This went much faster and we got the front and sleeves done very quickly.

DSCN5601

So there you have it. 400 gms of yarn for 2.99.

0 comments: