Since I've been knitting alot, I've pulled out all my needles and acquired some more for Christmas projects. I was looking at some knitting needle holders on Etsy, but I just wasn't finding anything that worked for what I wanted. Most of them looked like the one I've made, but only had one or two rows and fit 12-15 sets of needles. I want enough space to expand, not just hold what I already own. So I decided to make one.
First I drew up a little diagram showing the sizes I wanted each level to be and how big my fabric needed to be. Then I cut the fabric out, and ironed interfacing on the largest rectangles.
I cut a piece of cotton batting to line the back and the smallest, front pocket so that it padded the needles well. Then I folded over the tops of all the pockets and seamed them down.
Next I sewed the side and top seams. I layered the pockets and laid the back piece of fabric and cotton batting on top with the right sides together and sewed three sides, leaving the bottom open, and flipped it right side out.
Next I sewed across the top about an inch from the top to make a flap which could fold down to prevent the needles from falling out the top. I zig-zagged across the flap to keep the layers attached as well.
Next step was to sew vertical seams between 1''-3'' apart to make pockets for the needles to slide into.
All finished with 27 pockets.
Lastly I rolled up the bottom edge and stitched it in place. Not the cleanest job I've ever done, but it'll do.
...and ta-da! Ready to fill with all my needles and hooks...or at least the ones that don't have something on them...
I then flip down the flap on top, fold it into thirds, and the plan was to tack on a piece of ribbon so that I could tie it up, but I haven't gotten that far yet.










0 comments:
Post a Comment