Monday, March 7, 2011

Recycled Sweater Yarn!

My newest interest, which technically is a part of my recent knitting interest, is recycling the yarn from old sweaters. Since I don't have the money to buy a sweater's worth of a wool, cashmere, angora blend I'll just pay <$5 at a thrift store for an extra large sweater, rip it apart and viola! I have more than enough yarn to make a small sized sweater for myself.

Last week I got 5 sweaters to frog from the local Good Will, for $20 and since I had some store credit I only paid about half of it.

007

Here they are: a cotton/acrylic blend (the yarn carries between the strips which is definitely a bonus) $2.50, 100% cotton in a nice dye-able cream color (XL) $4.99, 100% purple acrylic $2.50, 100% really super soft and chunky acrylic (sized 2X, This actual feels like a fluffy, warm blanket with arm holes on it, not sure if I'll frog it or just wear it around the house) $4.99 and last but not least a merino wool, cashmere, angora and viscose blend (XL, lovely pink variegated fingering weight) $3.99.

I've deconstructed the blue striped one and have frogged the back piece so far. More details to come...

0 comments: