Monday, July 4, 2011

I is for Independence Day

Not very creative I know, I bet alot of other people are doing Independence day as well, but mine has a bit of a different focus than what you might normally think of.

All my life, my mom's side has gone on a family vacation the first two weeks of July. We're always there for the fourth of July. We never go to fireworks, we don't really do anything special specifically for the fourth. My dad's parents are from England, so he never celebrated American Independence in his home growing up. On my mom's side, my grandparents are from Germany, so they never celebrated either, however today is my grandpa's birthday. So in our family, July 4th is grandpa's birthday first and foremost.

This year is the first year that we're not on vacation.

Last year, was the first year that we went without my grandpa after he died from brain cancer. Nobody was in a mood to celebrate, but we did make a birthday cake still.

This year, we're all going to my grandma's house for dinner and a small birthday celebration. She wanted to be with family today.

It's not that we don't care about or don't want to remember history or the sacrifices made by our founding fathers, we just have a different focus on July 4th, especially now.

However, this year will also be the first year I go to see fireworks on the Fourth of July, which is pretty exciting.

3 comments:

sara said... [Reply]

I hope you have fun at the fireworks. Family is important, too so it makes complete sense that growing up your fourth had a different focus. Cake is tastier than barbecue anyway. LOL

Julie said... [Reply]

Independence Day is a really good idea for 'I', what a great opportunity. Sorry that the day has a little sadness for you, but I hope that you had a good one.

Christine said... [Reply]

I hope you had a lovely day with your family