Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Suffolk

I spun my first sample as part of my fiber sampler project!

Suffolk was the first sample chosen. I read up about it in my Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, and it would appear that what I have labeled as Suffolk is actually a different breed which goes around calling itself Suffolk, is actually called 'Grey Suffolk' and isn't really related to real Suffolk at all. This fiber doesn't really resemble what Suffolk is supposed to be like. Short staple, lots of springy crimp, white...this has a medium staple, the crimps were there and small so it wasn't wavy or anything, but it wasn't springy, and it's grey.

So, here it is.

DSCN2087

DSCN2216

DSCN2215

It had a nice amount of grabiness(word?) to it, so I think it would be good to learn with. There was some kemp, but not alot. It isn't soft, but definitely not super scratchy either.

I have some Suffolk which looks to be the real thing, so I took a picture of the two next to each other.

DSCN2041

Quite different looking. I'm spinning the real Suffolk next in a small detour from my sampler. I figured I'd get it in while the experience of the first one was fresh in my mind.

 

0 comments: