Thursday, October 4, 2012

In Which I Write About Writing

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, I realized last week how much I'd missed writing over the last few months. The easiest way to remedy that seemed to be to return to blogging. Then I remembered that NaNoWriMo is rapidly approaching. I discovered it last year and was intrigued by the concept. I've always liked challenges of this type, so naturally I want to see if I'm able to do it. Last year I was a CD and Team Manager in Nerd Wars though so I didn't think it was a good time. I'd also just finished co-writing a rather long fanfiction with many parodistic elements so I was a little low on legit creativity and 'writing real things' skills.

I kind of want to try it just for kicks, but it's not like I don't have a ton of knitting that I'd also like to do, and a massive list of books I want to read, not to mention a job and family who likes to see me. On the other hand, my main job is part time. I'm single and childless at the moment. So it may be a great time. Who knows what my work/life situation will be a year from now.

I mentioned it to a friend last night and he said I should go for it. Then this morning I checked my email and I had a message with the subject line "Are you called to write?"

My biggest reservation when it comes to these things is that I feel like I can't possibly have anything to say that hasn't been said already. There are so many books out there it's overwhelming to consider. What purpose would there be to me putting my piddly little thoughts based on a grand 24 years life experience out there? But really, I don't want to write so that lots of people will read it and I'll become a famous author. I just enjoy it, who cares if my fiction sounds cliche and my random ramblings and conclusions are nothing revolutionary.

We'll see, I'm not convinced quite yet.

0 comments: