Monday, August 8, 2011

N is for Nerd Wars

N is for Nerd Wars which = the reason why I've been a slacker blogger lately. hangs head in shame


In the interest of writing more than that (which was my original thought.) Here is a list I wrote and posted on Ravalry  recently which is my claims to Nerdery, I added a couple more that I thought of.


  • LOTR 
  • Narnia 
  • Star Wars, 6 movies, not really into EU I’ve only read one book 
  • Stargate, SG1, movies, then SGA, didn’t like the 1 episode of SGU that I saw 
  • Iron Man 1 was my first midnight movie showing, Not big into comic book movies though, I like Iron Man and Batman Begins, Spiderman is ok 
  • The Princess Bride is a long time favorite, it has most excellent quotes 
  • I’m starting to get into Star Trek thanks to NW 
  • I’ve always been a huge reader, particularly historic fiction 
  • I love the game Risk, and have been called a nerd for that 
  • My favorite genre of music is soundtrack music, specifically from the movies listed above 
  • I regularly respond in conversations with quotes from the above movies, Jane Austen and Veggie Tales quotes are also a part of my daily vocabulary 
  • I was always an academic nerd, overachiever type. example, my senior year of highschool I knew I would be really busy so I decided to start my physics book over the summer to get a head start. I even brought it with me on a two week family vacation and got 3 chapters done there. 
  • I took Visual Basic and Intro to Computer Science so that I could learn C++ in college for fun. I have also coded a couple websites in html.
  • I may or may not  have been known as a nerd in college...people always wanted my notes when they missed class, I always wanted to know the highest and average grades on tests to see how close to the top I was, etc. 
  • I used to hang out in my professor's offices, just to chat about class material and homework, for several hours at a time. Seriously, I miss my 4 favorite professors, more than any of my friends from school. 
  • On Saturdays when I didn't  have football games (marching band, so yeah, band geek too) I spent all day in the library. It was like: breakfast at 9:15, library til lunch, lunch at 12, library til they close at 5, dinner at 5, then I was free!!! Fridays and Saturdays after 5 were my designated no homework times for the week. 
  • I took several extra classes in one of my majors because I couldn't decide which one to take, simple solution = take both. (on that note, I also double majored for fun)
  • This has been mentioned here before, but I'm currently involved in writing a few fan fictions. 
  • Random fun facts, I have a shirt that says Geek Squad on it, I take a lightsaber with me when I go outside at night in the dark, I sometimes wear a gold ring on a chain around my neck, oh yes, Precious, I have a medieval-ish style fighting knife on my desk (it's really dull, not real, but you know, just in case some barbarians attack), I can read and write in dwarf runes, I love dressing up in costume (even if I'm not going anywhere), thinkgeek.com is one of my favorite retail websites to browse... 
So basically, I'm a nerd. I'm not a really high tech, super smart nerd, but I'll take what I can get, and be proud of it! 


  

8 comments:

Peppermint Mocha Mama said... [Reply]

I'm a nerd too... and being a nerd is fun! Loved your list - not that I have done any of those things (cough).. nope, not me (cough)... lol.

Carolee479 said... [Reply]

@Peppermint Mocha Mama

Haha, yeah, it's fun to think about and make a list.

lyndagrace said... [Reply]

You're such a Nerd! :)

I think we all have nerdiness potential though about one thing or another.

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Classic.

Great post, nerds are hot!!!

pinkundine said... [Reply]

Princess Bride, good call :)

I was an academic nerd too, now I have plenty of other nerdiness to be going on with (Firefly particularly).

And I want a geek squad t-shirt!

Julie said... [Reply]

Yep, nerd-dom is a wonderful world. I never really got over it when they stopped making Stargate and as far as I'm concerned only the first series of Star Trek exists, the rest is just dross. I don't have a light sabre though. Something to aim for.

Anonymous said... [Reply]

You have me beat... but I am close behind. Amen to all the college chats with profs during office hours and extra classes. Thats how I picked up an extra 5 languages ;) Huge LOTR fan too. Loved old SW but not so much the new ones. Missed you!

Rachel (IrishElinor on Ravelry) said... [Reply]

If you want to find some really great LOTR and Narnia crafts, (or just plain cool stuff)m check out http://ponderedinmyheart.typepad.com/random_interesting_stuff/. This guy is a genius.