You know that sinking feeling you get when you're over 1/2 way through a book and it's suddenly so familiar that you know you've read it before?
I've deviated twice already from my 2013 reading list. I read the first book of the Penderwick's which was cute and worth the detour. I also read the 3rd book in the Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentlemen series. Now I read books one and two nearly two years ago. (I liked the first one, really didn't like the second) I knew that I took the third book out from the library, but all I remembered was renewing it as many times as I could because I never actually read it.
Then I happened to walk past it in the library so I thought I'd like to finish the series for good measure even though I didn't really enjoy the second one. The first chapter seemed familiar but I figured I must have started it cause then it wasn't so familiar anymore. By about 2/3 of the way in I was sure I'd read the entire book, but I didn't remember how some of the story lines wrapped up so then I had to finish it again! So I deviated from my list, to read a book that I'd already read and one that I wouldn't ever even consider worth reading a second time! So annoying.
The worst was when I read The Wedding three years ago and honest to goodness didn't remember a thing about it, never guessed anything about what was really going on, until I got to the last chapter and as soon as the big reveal happens it all flowed back and I realized that I'd read it. You'd have thought that I'd at least begin to guess what was going to happen and think I was doing really well at figuring it out.
Despite all this I'm doing really well on my list. I finished Northanger Abbey and I'm almost through Jane Eyre. Ok, I guess that isn't exactly doing well, but at least I've read something from the list.
Oh, and PS, I think I'm going to read The Secret Garden next...so...yeah the list is going great. :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment