Well, this transition wasn't really as big of a deal and it didn't require much thought, but here it goes:
"Soap: a cleansing and emulsifying agent made usually by action of alkali on fat or fatty acids and consisting essentially of sodium or potassium salts of such acids"
"Detergent: that cleanses : cleansing"
Based on the definition of soap most commercial cleaning products we use and call "soap" are detergents. If you look in a store you'll see that the products are often called something like "body cleanser," "beauty bar," "cleansing bar," "body wash," etc. However, many people still say they wash themselves with "soap." When you read the ingredients on many cleansers you'll find no oils or sodium hydroxide. In fact many products claim to be "oil free" as a benefit.
We've been given this notion that our skin should be stripped of it's natural oils because they're bad and dirty and then we need to moisturize with "good" products which, of course, don't contain oil which would clog your pores. Truth is, our natural oils are there for a reason, sure we get dirty and too much oil isn't good, but the oils our bodies produce keep our skin smooth and healthy and act as a barrier. Chemically processed and manufactured moisturizers aren't a adequate substitute.
If you drink 8 cups of water a day and use a real soap which won't dry out your skin, you shouldn't need to use a lotion regularly. Your skin won't feel dry and itchy after washing. There are always areas which get dried out more like the heals and elbows, but in general not so much.
I made some Castile soap, which is made with olive oil, when I was in highschool for gifts. I found some left over bits recently and started using that when I shower. After the first couple weeks I've only been moisturizing once, maybe twice a week instead of at least once everyday and then some. It has a very creamy lather and the small bar I've been using is lasting a long time. My skin feels clean, but not dry. It rinses off clean with no residue.
This one wasn't really a surprise, but it's been a nice result so far.
Next up: solid shampoo bars...
0 comments:
Post a Comment